Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Everyday Bread

This recipe comes from Make the Bread, Buy the Butter, a really interesting book that I would seriously recommend--so I don't have to summarize it, here's what I said about it on my reading blog. Mom, I think you'd really like this. Camille, it's even easier than the no-knead artisan bread I showed you guys. I really liked it--it's different from the artisan bread, but great in another way.

Everyday Bread
1 teaspoon instant yeast
3 1/2 cups water, at room temperature
5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cups whole-wheat flour
1/3 cups flaxseed (optional)--we added it because we had some but I wouldn't have bought it if we didn't already have it
4 teaspoons kosher salt

1. Oil the inside of two 9x5 metal loaf pans.
2. In a large bowl, mix the yeast, water, flours, seeds, and salt. Scrape the dough into the pans. Drape with a clean, damp dish towel or lightly oiled plastic wrap. Let the bread rise for about 2 hours until level with the tops of the pans.
3. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
4. Bake loaves for 30 minutes.
5. Remove the bread from the pans, return to the oven, and bake directly on the rack for 15 minutes more. The bread is done when it is richly colored and sounds hollow when it is tapped.
6. Cool before slicing. Store in a paper bag for up to a week. For longer storage, wrap tightly and freeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment